Pages

Saturday 31 May 2008

Update from Thamuang

The windows arrived and were fitted last Tuesday. Khamma is pleased and says they look really good with a beautiful view over the rice fields. There was thunder and lightening on Wednesday and apparently the view from the windows was spectacular. They have also started painting the outside walls on the ground floor, and made a start on the building the kitchen at the back. Upstairs the bedrooms are being constructed and I think the balcony is finished.

I am going to the village on the 18 June to help finalise the kitchen design. For some reason the size of the kitchen is relatively small given that the rest of the house is big and there was plenty of room to build out. It was added on after the plans were confirmed. (The usual project scope creep I'm afraid!). We have only 10 feet by 10 feet to work with so the design is crucial to making it work. I refuse to have the fridge in the dining room and the washing machine will be outside in the other washing area.

I also made a bit of a fuss about putting a bath in the downstairs bathroom. I can't understand why the bathroom is so large (and the kitchen so small), but it is crying out for a luxury bath and I have to go and choose it and supervise the installation because if San gets this wrong it will be a mess, so he tells me! Khamma says 'Up to YOU!' and finds something else to do.

The date has also been set for the grand party to bless the house and officially declare that we can live in it. This is an important tradition for Thai Buddhists who believe that bad Karma will abound if the monks do not bless the house on the appropriate day. The 18 July is the absolute last date the blessing can take place and I will not miss it for anything. I am also very excited and delighted my daughter Clare will be there with me to join in the fun. She is coming to Singapore for a holiday at just the right time. I know Khamma's family is very excited about seeing her and she will get a first hand account of life in Thamuang.

Apart from the monk's blessing there will be lots of food and drink. In truth the food is just as important as the blessing and I believe we are roasting a cow along with other goodies it will no doubt take days to prepare. The local Morlam band will be turning up for the gig. Any excuse for a party, just like England.

No comments:

Post a Comment