Pages

Friday 27 June 2008

Close to nature, the rain, pig's trotters and white dog poo!


A short, sharp shower is never far away at this time of year!


You are never very far away from nature in Thamuang. The village is surrounded by fertile lands and water is abundant from excessive rainfall, river or rice fields. This supports a wide variety of wild life and over the last few visits I have taken a few photographs of the little critters that happen across my path. I'm sure if I made a concerted effort I could become the next Richard Attenborough.




Snake spotted near 'Owerrrouse'



Lizard spotted in 'Owerrrouse'



Butterfly spotted at the temple


It isn't obvious at first but a lot of the nature is also a source of food. Much of the wildlife is eaten and in many cases it is out of necessity because many people in the area are poor and have to supplement their food with frogs, ant eggs, bamboo shoots and mushrooms. The bamboo shoots and mushrooms are tasty and Khamma's trained eyes can spot delicacies a mile off. As for the critters I always pass on to the next!
A big bug that Khamma says is very tasty and a good source of protein. I will stick to coconut yogurt thanks!


Another delicacy is ant eggs. These are found in nests high up in the trees and are 'harvested' in the early evening when the ants are presumably getting ready for bed!

Almost every other house in the village sells something or other, and I have my favourites mainly based on the friendliness of the shopkeeper. I took these photos at the shop where we go to get breakfast drinks and ice for the builders of 'Owerrrouse'. A pig's ear and a pair of trotters. If I'm not mistaken you cannot buy these in England anymore either because the nanny state of New Labour says it's bad for us, or there isn't a demand. They don't care either way in Thamuang - 'Up to you!' they shout in unison.






The village is home to many dogs. Some are much closer to death than others and it seems cruel that one in particular near to Khamma's house lops around with the mange and the look of expectation of a better life next time around in it's colourless eyes . I call it Dead Dog Walking. But it is noticeable that the resident dog poo is white in colour. Have you ever noticed that dog poo nowadays in the Nanny State isn't white? That's because we don't let dogs chew, suck or knaw at bones anymore. Why? Is there a shortage of good bones or does the government deem it dangerous? They let the dogs do what they want to do in Thamuang and the result is white poo - easy to spot and avoid putting your foot in it as well!

2 comments:

  1. I think you mean DAVID Attenborough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out - daughter catches Dad again :-)

    ReplyDelete