Pages

Tuesday 22 July 2008

The House Blessing (Part 1)

What a weekend we have just experienced! So many things to remember and write about but I'm not sure where to start. Maybe I should start at the end because even now after being back in Singapore for a couple of days I am still finding it difficult to come down from the experience. I am elated and truly happy.
I was particularly pleased that my daughter Clare was with me in Thamuang to see the house, find out what all the fuss was about and to meet so many wonderful people who made us feel at home.
The previous weekend Clare travelled back with me from the UK for a holiday in Singapore, and the timing was perfect for her to come to Thamuang for the house blessing. I am sure some of you will understand how important this is and how pleased I was she was at the house and play a part in the festivities.
Clare and I left Singapore on a Wednesday afternoon flight to Bangkok and after checking in to the Marriott Courtyard - we recommend this hotel - we visited the night market for some bargain gifts and souvenirs. Next morning we toured the Royal Palace and the Reclining Buddha before going back to the airport for the short flight to Ubon Ratchathani.
Khamma and her sister greeted us and we were soon back in the village eagerly wanting to see the house. I was not disappointed. What a difference there was from a few weeks ago. There was still plenty of activity but the floor tiles were laid, the spa bath installed, the electricity was working, the kitchen was fitted, the bedrooms had beds, the upstairs floor varnished and brightly polished. It looked fantastic.







But that wasn't all! There was the hustle and bustle all around us of the preparations for the party. Cousins, aunts and uncles all busy doing something; erecting gazebos, setting out tables, washing glasses; singing and laughing and smiling and everyone curious to say hello to the farang and his farang daughter.
Inevitably there was 'to-ing and fro-ing' between Khamma's Mama house and 'Owerrrouse' and this occupied us until around 8 o'clock when we stopped everything to go into Ubon for the penultimate night of the Candle Festival. More on this later. Finally we crawled into bed for the last night in Mama's house.
Next morning the public address system burst into life playing the latest tunes from the Morlam charts followed by the chief's daily update about life in the village. My Thai is improving because I understood he was announcing the names of various people who had donated funds to the temple. However it was 5.30 am and, to be brutally honest, I wasn't interested in the slightest about who had donated what. But it was the signal for Khamma to get up and start supervising the party preparations. I eventually woke up at 9am to an empty house.

No comments:

Post a Comment