Pages

Friday 1 August 2008

Back to Earth

Two weeks have passed since the blessing and I suppose I have to admit I am back on the earth with my feet firmly fixed on the ground. From the highs to the lows (well, the less highs at least, because I am an eternal optimist!).

Khamma is living in the house with Yo and occasionally Mama stays over, Pell stays at the weekend after a week at university in Ubon. It is only a matter of time before Mama moves in but this is normal for Thailand so I am well prepared. This isn't a problem, she is after all a lovely person. Clare has gone back to England and I am back in Changi airport. Back to the real world as we made it! Normality?

There is a list as long as your arm of stuff to buy for the house from a replacement fridge to air con; from a sofa to a dvd player. Needless to say there is a lot prioritisation required.

It has been, and still is, a fantastic experience and I wonder at how fast events have moved for me, for us, over the last year or so. Khamma has a new home. Blimey, I have a new home for that matter, and, I work in Singapore. Flippin heck, talk about a life change!

But I believe in change and I have never been comfortable walking a consistent path. I have gone through life against the mainstream and insisted on being different. Forever seeking change and adventure. Always turning the page. I haven't settled in a cosy predictable lifestyle ever since I gave up my job in 1989 to take a year out climbing in the Himalaya, working, skiing and climbing in the Alps. I value my freedom and independence. I have a free spirit, to quote an overused cliche.

Around that time somebody said to me, 'I hope you find what you are looking for'. Those words and U2's lyrics to the classic song with a similar title have rattled in my head for almost two decades:

I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you.

I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you.
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her finger tips
It burned like fire(I was) burning inside her.
I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone.
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.

I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colours will bleed into one
Bleed into one.
But yes, I'm still running.
You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Oh my shame, you know I believe it.
But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.
But I still haven't found What I'm looking for.

Maybe, just maybe, I am close to finding whatever it is I am looking for in Thamuang!

No comments:

Post a Comment