Pages

Friday 10 October 2008

The Visa

I took the advice of Lloyd who left a message the other day wishing us luck with the visa application and suggesting I look at the on line application. He was right that it is straightforward and there is also the added bonus of the option of making an appointment to hand in the application and presumably go through a few questions at the same time. I did this on Monday and we now await our fate for this coming Thursday at 10.30am.
In some respects, having gone through the application process, it makes me feel lucky that I am a British passport holder and that my small 32 page British passport opens so many doors in so many countries without them asking so many questions. I recalled border crossings where my expectation was to be caught in between leaving one country and entering another. The time in Nepal where my visa had run out by one day and the cost of extending it amounted to a few rupees that I am certain were not 'officially' accounted for. There was a bun fight moments later at the Indian passport control as my passport disappeared under a small mountain of others only to appear an hour later with a splendid entry stamp, with no questions asked because the British passport is a strong statement that proves you are OK to allow across your border.
I think the border I have had the most problem with is the United States. Since 9/11 the Americans have become obsessed with 'Homeland Security' and make the whole process of entry one in which you can feel undue tension about answering the simple questions of why you want to enter their country. As if you are going say anything other than 'I am here to attend meetings' or 'I am here on holiday'. But in fairness they need to be careful, I just wish they were not as officious.
Another great border crossing was leaving Botswana to go into Zimbabwe. As British passport holders going into a country where British citizens were not welcome we did not know what to expect. But after a cheery smile and a wave we had no problem. And so it goes on.
A foreign passport holder applying for a visa to enter the UK must have mixed feelings about the application process. But it is there for a purpose and so long as it is successful in filtering out the good from the bad I don't have a problem with it. I am happy to help Khamma because I know it is worth the benefit of providing everything in perfect order for the review. The reward is to receive a stamp in the passport that in turn leads to the fantastic times and pleasures we will have in the UK at Christmas.
It is very tempting to think that the only outcome will be successful, but in my quiet moments I think of the disappointment if we are not. I can only hope our prayers to Buddha are answered because I do not know what else we can do to prove that Khamma is a gentle farmer from the north east. Is one of the kindest people you can ever to meet, with a loving family and a home and these are the very reasons she will return to Thailand. On the other hand she has the Thamuang Farang to look after as well and that might be held against her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment