Pages

Wednesday 12 November 2008

How's life?

It has been a very busy couple of weeks in Singapore and Thamuang but it looks like all the hard work is beginning to ease a little bit. Firstly in Thamuang the 'cut rice' is almost complete and everybody is now drying the husk in preparation for the milling which will start in a week or so. The rain has been a nuisance during the cutting period and obviously during the drying process. Khamma has cleared the Thai kitchen in Owerrrouse and covered the floor with cut rice in a best effort to get it dry. The yield is about normal but the price on the open market is very poor, as Lloyd commented a week or so ago. We are going to build a 'house for rice' to store it until the price gets better (or if it gets better). So much for a rice crisis about six months ago, and by the way this coincided with oil reaching record levels, but now they can't give the stuff away. Incidentally full marks to my favourite airline Air Asia for axing fuel surcharges from 11 November. Pity I booked about five flights last weekend - I could have saved myself about GBP100. Never mind tirak! Khamma will be just about finished with the 'cut rice' by this time next week which is good news because she is travelling to Singapore for a couple of weeks to stay with me.
As for me, well I don't usually mention work in the blog but I am making an exception today because after months of hard work, late nights and early mornings and all the rest of it, we have a system in the airport that is working really well, and is a success - so far. There are a few more weeks of bedding down but for some folks around Changi airport life will not be quite the same in the future. Enough said. Special thanks to Mike, Darren, Jim, Matthew, Jess and Wati - you know who you are and how hard you have worked for this.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I will be in Singapore for a few weeks from early December. If you want to catch up for a beer at Harry's drop me a "comment".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Lloyd. In fact Khamma will be here as well up to 3 December. Will be in touch.

    ReplyDelete