Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2009

In search of the Chinese New Year

Today I set off in search of the Chinese New Year. I thought by now the family parties must be over for another year. Surely two days is enough with dear old Auntie Mee Yong, and grumpy Grandad Min Ying! So I set off for Central on Hong Kong Island and emerged in the middle of various female groups congregating on the pavement as if waiting for something to happen. Eventually I realised the groups were Filipino maids who always meet like this on their day's off work. There are reported to be 140,000 Filipino maids working in Hong Kong, and not all of them get a easy life. With today being a public holiday they are entitled to an extra day off. So the promising start was thwarted somewhat but the infectious smiles from some of the ladies made up for it. Looking very closely I failed to spot any clues about tonight's firework display. I was disappointed and on the verge of giving up when I came across the Ox, and a fine specimen he is too.

The Ox 'Oh' symbolic for 2009

Even so I wasn't sure about the fireworks so I decided to go to Tsim Sha Tsui on the Star Ferry and see if the New Year was any visible on that side. As I got on the ferry I read notices saying that the ferry would be suspended between 7pm and 9pm tonight whilst the fireworks were displayed. Yippeeeeeee! At last New Year in Hong Kong, my whelm was bubbling over.
On the way over I took a short but not exactly brilliant video of the city scape on my phone. When I finally replace my camera (the one stolen at Christmas) I promise to do a better job! But this short clip gives you idea.


Hong Kong Skyline at night from the Star Ferry

The crowds were gathering so I found what I thought would be a good spot and waited a full hour for the extravaganza to commence. It was pretty good actually;

As I made way home down Nathan Road I felt at last I was sharing the New Year, and as I arrived in the entrance lobby to the apartment I met the commissioner and we wished each other a 'Happy New Year'. Peace at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment