Pages

Saturday 7 February 2009

Yu Sheng - the Symbol of Abundance, Prosperity and Vigor

This week I returned to Singapore for a few days to review some work. It was like returning home and although I had only been away for a couple of months I quickly blended into the familar surroundings. Singapore is much cleaner, less hectic and more friendly than Hong Kong and it is obvious straightaway.
I like the way the city is divided into cultural districts and I wandered around Little India, Bugis and City area near Raffles. The airport is quiet after the Chinese New Year but like everywhere else around the world they are feeling the pinch as passenger numbers drop and those that do travel are not spending anywhere near as much cash.
I met up with colleagues who have become very good friends and visited a restaurant in the airport called 'The Soup Restaurant'. Inside it is decorated in an old traditional style with bamboo walls, round tables and low stools that look drums. It was easy to forget we were in the airport and I must have passed the place a hundred times before without going in. The restaurant style is based on days gone by when red and blue hatted womenfolk worked as labourers in the rebuilding of Singapore. They were known as Samsui and they were frugal, dogged and hard working. They originated from mainland China and moved to Singapore to earn money to send back to their families. There are overtones here with the Filipino domestic workers. Their favourite dish was chicken served with a ginger sauce and cucumber wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Today the dish is served on a huge plate with the chicken and cucumber beautifully arranged around the centre piece of ginger sauce. It is a very tactile dish and can be a bit messy, but it is delicious.
The Chinese New Year seemed to be lingering in Singapore as we ordered a traditional dish called Yu Sheng which is eaten around the second week after the New Year day. It consists of some twenty seven ingredients but predominantly raw salmon, shredded carrot and turnip, with a mixture of oils, spices and seeds. There is also pepper, Chinese crackers, limes and a hint of plum sauce. It is brought to the table on a large plate and the colourful display demanded respect and conversation as we told by the waitress how this dish is supposed to bring good luck, fortune and health. The idea is that the people eating the dish should pick up their chopsticks and mix the dish in a frenzy of laughter whilst shouting loud wishes for good luck, health and prosperity. The higher you toss the food the stronger the wishes become and the louder you shout the greater your chances of achieving your wishes. It is great because you can make a mess, make a noise and make friends with everybody else in the restaurant as they watch and share your amusement and desires. The odds that the wishes will come true are better than those for winning the lottery jackpot! The taste was amazing and even though it was just an appetiser I could have finished another plate.
But the best bit was that the next day we did it all over again in the office. What a fantastic spontaneous time we had. About twenty of us joined in and created a great atmosphere where for a few moments we were joined together in a great Chinese tradition where we were all equal and created spirit and harmony. I know that has a hint of a Chinese cliche, but it was true. It was also something we could learn from.
Sadly I returned to the hard faced competitive city of Hong Kong where the spirit is wandering about and doesn't know how to spin its web to bring people together like its cousin in the south.

Yu Sheng

5 comments:

  1. Hi TF,

    I know what you mean about the contrast between Singapore and HK. I've worked in both in the past few years, and have to say I much prefer Singapore. There is no more beautiful city in the world I would say, as the entire city is immaculate and one big garden. It's orderly, friendly, the food is amazing, and there is a freedom there that you would never associate with Singapore's reputation. HK on the other hand, as well as Shanghai to a lesser extent, is crowded and smelly and busy. But then again, I love HK for that energy that is lacking in Singapore. I also lived in NYC for a few years, and HK reminds me of NYC with it's energy and drive to succeed.

    Of course, they are both great places to work, but don't hold a candle to Thailand as a place to live. You have found your corner of paradise in Thamuang, which I haven't been to yet. But I've covered most of Thailand by motorbike many times, and there are so many amazing little villages and places to live and love.

    Bodhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bodhi. You are welcome to stay the Thamuang 5 star anytime. Good food, good company and always a cold beer in the fridge. It is one of those amazing little villages you mention.
    I think HK is more competitive than S'pore and that gives it that edge and energy. Yes similar to NYC but I think that city changed a lot after 9/11 when they started to feel vulnerable. Still a great place to work and visit though.
    HK is the only place where I have mentally shouted 'GET ME OUT OF HERE!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did 3 years in NYC, and was actually less than a block away on 9/11. Lived within a two block a radius, and worked less than 3 blocks away on wall street, when it all happened. I have bittersweet feelings about that day. I always say that if it wasn't for that, I would probably have continued my contented life there and likely wound up back home in canada married, etc. But instead I left. And here I am today. Slightly less well adjusted, but a hell of a lot more travelled.

    I might take you up on the Thamuag 5 star someday. In the meantime, while I"m stuck here in the desert working, my Bodhi 5 Star condo down in Naklua is sitting empty and collecting dust. You're welcome to it as well. If you ever feel the need for a holiday down south in fun town.

    I was just talking to my brother today about hiking in England. We both used to live in the UK, working in Cheshire, in a small town called Knutsford. We used to take weekend trips to north Wales to go hiking in the hills there. Miss it now. No hiking around here in the desert hills of the UAE. But your talk of your hiking weekends past in the UK brought back memories. I wouldn't discount the mountains of HK. Hard to find places like that, so take advantage of it. Could be worse. You could be in the flattest place on earth. Abu Dhabi.

    Bodhi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a small world Bodhi. I know Knutsford well - I used to work there in what amounts to be a dark period of my life - and Diggle is not that far away. I can't imagine what it must have like in NYC on 9/11 for you it changed the direction of your life and opened up all sorts of possibilities.
    The North Wales hills are a fantastic playground, and I have many fond memories of epic climbs and look forward to going back one day. The Hong Kong hills are always beckoning me. In fact I have a fantastic view of the Lantau range from my office in the airport. Roll on weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small world indeed. I can't imagine how little Knutsford could amount to a dark period in anyones life. Although it was my first time working outside of London, and I consider my time there among the best in my life. But it was all new to me at the time. And I was living above the Cross Keys pub, and working out at Radbroke Hall for Barclays, and I still miss it today. I've lived and worked in a lot of places, and Knutsford is high on my list as a memorable place.

    As for 9/11, I like to say that at least I can say, I was there. I had a great three years in NYC, culminated with an event that will live on in history. I was young and stupid enough that day to leave my office to run to the towers to see what was happening. But I was lucky enough to run the other way when the second plane hit. And smart enough to move when NYC changed.

    I'm buying a mountain bike tomorrow on the weekend (Friday is the 'new' Saturday in the middle east. And Sunday is the new Monday, unfortunately). So I'll be mountain biking around the flat desert. I do miss my weekends around Snowdon, and I did do one hike with my father up Victoria Peak in HK. I just miss peaks in general, I guess.

    Have a good weekend. Do a good hike. And take some good pics. I"ll be posting my new bike and boring flat bike ride as well on my blog.

    Cheers,
    Bodhi

    ReplyDelete