Pages

Monday 2 March 2009

The Big Thamuang Wedding

I mentioned that at wedding was taking place over the weekend in the village and Khamma told me that 1,000 people had been invited. Well, I know Khamma very well and she is not prone to exaggeration, so when she confirmed again that 1,000 people were attending the wedding, I have to accept her word.
She started helping with the preparations last Wednesday by making various sauces and mixes to be used in the cooking. I think she was using chillis and other spices and oils, but how much they know to produce is anybody's guess. This carried on into Thursday and then they started to set up the kitchens and fires. By Friday they were collecting tables and chairs from the temple and creating one of Thailand's biggest dining rooms. I can't imagine where all this was taking place because the streets are narrow and the houses are not very big. One thousand people do not easily absorb into the surroundings.
By Saturday they had four big cows and a pig to slaughter, butcher, cut into workable quantities and start cooking. I spoke to her on Saturday night and already 300 people had arrived and they were being fed and watered.
Khamma told me she got out of bed at 4am on Sunday morning and the catering started in earnest. The remaining 700 guests arrived soon after and the wedding ceremony started at 8am in the home of the bride. A couple of hours later the boys in the band performed their second gig of the week and it was all finished by 4pm and everybody had gone home.
I wish I had more information, but Khamma treated it as though this happens every week. She fell asleep on the sofa and Yo had to wake her. She told me she wanted to watch Manchester United and Spurs in the Carling Cup on the television, but that was too much and she went to bed.
Today there was more clearing up and apparently this afternoon they relaxed by the river at another restaurant no doubt recalling the stories and planning the next one.
Sorry I can't be more specific but I will hopefully see some pictures in a couple of weeks when Khamma comes up to Hong Kong.

2 comments:

  1. That's two big events in one day. A thousand guest wedding and the Carling Cup Final. With the whisky and lao khao flowing were the guests falling over as easily as the over paid footballers. I am not surprised Khamma was off to an early night, up at 4 am and an army to help feed, I definitely give her man(woman) of the match for her effort and commitment. Thamuang had me stuck for a while, googled it and now know you're writing about Kanchanaburi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two 'matches of the day' both with good results - if you are a Man U fan. Actually there are two Thamuangs and the Kanchanaburi one is the more famous one. This little village is about 40 kms from Ubon Ratchathani and about 15 kms from Trakan Phutpon on road 2050 in the north east. Khamma deserves woman of the match and for this effort is going close to Thai player of the year! Cheers Martyn.

    ReplyDelete