Pages

Wednesday 1 April 2009

Running for the New Manchester Children's Hospital

I recently received an email from my daughter, Clare, which was titled 'Manchester 10k'. It intrigued me because it could only be about the annual mass 10k race held each May around the streets of Manchester. I ran the race in its first couple of years and it is a good day out, but being in Hong Kong made it impossible for me to think about entering this year. So what was the email about?
Clare was announcing, more like committing, to run the race and raise some money for the New Manchester Children's Hospital.
I was absolutely delighted she was doing this and felt quite proud of her. Clare has not really been interested in participating in sport. She preferred to extend her incredible music talents whilst at school and became very proficient playing the oboe as well as enjoying singing and playing the piano. She gets this from her mother's side and I am very envious that she can perform extremely well in front of large audiences, the likes of which I can only fantasise about. My musical performances with the blues harmonica are reserved for private audiences only and the occasional blast on a Friday night at the end of a hard week and a couple of pints at the Tunnel End in Marsden! I digress.....
Clare has joined a group of colleagues from work and risen to the challenge. She has started a training regime and so far she is on schedule and, more to the point, enjoying it. A slight injury to her knee caused some concern last week, but it was something and nothing.
I would really like to join her and I have half an idea to run 10k on the same day at the same time in Hong Kong. Sadly my knees have reached the stage where they are starting to wear out and I cannot run too far without starting to hobble. But there are a few weeks to go before 17 May.
I really hope Clare gets to the start line feeling fit and raring to go. She will have a great time and the atmosphere in these events is very special. Any reader wanting to donate can leave a comment and I will send on the details.
Good luck Clare.

No comments:

Post a Comment