Pages

Monday 20 August 2012

Jet Washing the Yard

There is some kind of mental relaxation in jet washing the yard.  It is, in a way, similar to mowing the lawn except the result is more satisfying.  Perhaps it is destructive and creative at the same time.  I don't know the answer, but today I have spent six hours in my own little world creating a new look for the yard that had started to become overgrown with a silty deposit created by dust, wind, sun and rain over the last couple of years.  I must say it looks good, and it has occupied me as well.
We bought the jet wash from Ubon Watsado (similar to B&Q).  It is an Aladdin's cave of stuff from taps to guitars, paper clips to wool.  It also employs most of Ubon's youth who do their very best to assist, but almost always confuse.  In the jet wash department there is proud display of several models to choose from. I selected the mid range Bosch model and wanted to inspect it for all its parts before going to the check out counter.  Company rules apparently forbid the customer from doing this, even though the box was open.  OK, you cannot beat the system so I reluctantly 'gave in'.  Needless to say at the check out I was so pre-occupied with the payment process (well it is Thailand, so I need some slack) I forgot to check.
I carried the box on my knee sitting on the back of the motorbike all the way back to Owerrrouse, only to find half of it missing.  This was a reminder of the frustration called Thailand.

Next day we hired Khamma's nephew to drive us back to Ubon to exchange the goods.  Whilst we were there we bought  paint, brushes, light bulbs, pens, a new headset for the computer and, one the way out of the car park, a bookcase!  On the way home, we stopped for petrol, called in Tesco Lotus Express and a roadside butchers where biggest blow fly I had ever seen was having a whale of time on the fresh flesh.

Eventually we got home and Khamma made Sunday lunch for ten!  We sat on the floor in the kitchen with a traditional Thai meal.  Half way through Khamma's sister called from France and we joined in a mobile Skype conversation.  A fusion of traditional habits and modern technology.  Amazing.  

After lunch I assembled the jet wash and made a start on the yard.  As the sun set I realised the investment in the jet wash was not only improving Owerrouse, it was therapeutic, and I couldn't wait for tomorrow to start work.

There was not a square inch of yard untouched by my trusty jet wash by the time I finished.  I was looking forward to a well earned beer and decided to visit Billy in the next village.  But just as I was setting off, Adrian passed by on his way for a beer with Mike, and my plans changed.  This is Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment