Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

Temple Celebrations

The telephone rings - it's Khamma's Mama, and it is 5:45am, Sunday 26 August 2012.  I am, or was, in a deep sleep.  Khamma's voice rises as she reminds her Mama of the time and yes, she does know she has to make food for the monks and the special party at the temple - but it doesn't start until 11:00am, now go back to sleep.  Well at least that is what Khamma tells me she said - it could have been a lot worse from the sound of it.
I ask what party is this, because it is the first I have heard about a knees up.  I still don't know why there was a party, but it was something like a birthday, but not birthday.  Many important monks were coming from other temples to Thamuang to join in the fun.  Sounds like a good opportunity, so I checked if I would be welcome - no problem.
I think Khamma started to panic a little bit because she was ushering me to leave the house at 9:00 am.  I did notice a lot of other people, dressed in their finest traditional clothes, making their way to the temple and this seemed to 'hurry her up.'  Sadly Khamma's Mama did not attend.  She is still recovering from her illness and cannot sit or stand for long periods of time, so she is best at home where she can decide for herself.  A lovely lady though, who is deeply religious and obviously upset at not attending.
The old temple has been demolished and work has just started on a new one.  I suspect there is a lot fund raising going on, especially as the chief monk greets me like an old lost friend.  I am actually very flattered, and it goes down well with the onlookers.
The old temple
The new temple under construction 
The leader of the village is a family friend, and he quickly invited me to sit at the front of the makeshift temple, which was bit of an honour.  It also put me on show to the rest of the assembled crowd.  I cannot sit on the floor for very long without getting cramp, neither can I sit cross legged as my worn out knees and knotted leg muscles refuse to be flexible.  My heart sank as Khamma said this was going to be a long session.
However, it was interesting watching the arrival of the senior monks and the respect shown to their position in the temple.  They were greeted with humility, reverence and they responded with smiles and compassion.  I was very impressed with how they could sit on the floor without flinching or any sign of discomfort.  Unlike my position which was being threatened by a lack blood supply to my right buttock and right arm; due to all my weight resting on those body parts for the last thirty minutes.  The problem is, you have to be careful where you point your feet - do not point them, or the soles, in the direction of a monk.  This is tantamount to blasphemy, especially as most of village was intrigued at my lack of mobility.  Anyway I shuffled and somehow found a part of my backside that hadn't been rendered physically insensible by the pressure between body and concrete floor.
The climax was a long blessing and prayer from the assembled monks.  The chanting is deep and hypnotic - evidenced by a few sleepers, and goes on for a longtime, which was further bad news for the dead leg that had caught up with my numb bum.
I saw an opportunity when another honoured guest alongside me got up and walked to the side.  I did the same and limped out of the hall trying to get much need blood into my leg.  I noted I had been sat there for 90 minutes - 85 of them in agony!!

Leader invites me to sit at the front

The rest of the village were seated further back

No comments:

Post a Comment