Pages

Saturday 17 January 2009

The Loneliness of the Long Distant Project Manager

After spending most of my time in the last few months in the company of family and friends, and especially the last seven weeks with Khamma, it feels very strange to be totally alone in a new country. I miss Singapore with its spotless roads and palm trees, its warmth and surroundings that gave a sense of familiarity. But most of all I miss the families in England and Thamuang.
When I have spoken to them throughout the week there has been something going on all the time, something I could join in with if I was there, laughter, spontaneity, bonding. I can tell my family in England accept that I do what I have to do, but I know they would prefer it if I was back home. A few English domestic admin problems have also pre-occupied me this week and meant that I had to selfishly rely on family when I should have dealt with the problems myself.
Now that Khamma is back in the village, and her sister has returned from France as well, she sounds very happy with all her family around her. They had the annual 'fishing in the rice field' day this week and big sister and big brother arrived at Owerrrouse to enjoy a family re-union in the special way that Thai families do. When I spoke to Khamma the party was in full swing with only one absentee.
Working in a foreign country isn't always as glamourous as it sounds and this week has been the lowest spot for a long time. My memory was cast back to the time I arrived in Denmark at the start of a two year contract in 1997. I thought then I had made a wrong decision. The Denmark I knew had sunny warm days, was fresh and Kodachrome bright with vivid sharp colours; but when I arrived it was raining and cold and dark and deserted. Nobody told me Denmark closes down between October and April!
Hong Kong is a little bit like that too. It has been very cold this week and as I look out over the yacht club harbour and the glistening and bobbing boats towards the clear sea in one direction and the majestic mountainous coastline the only thing that is missing are the people. Yet in the city it will be madness and mayhem.
Of course it isn't only people that make for a sense of belonging, it is the culture and I am sure that must out there somewhere beyond this high rise complex and snooty yacht club. Also having your own possessions and belongings around you help to tease memories and remind you of loved ones. These will arrive one day sometime but the logistics of transporting things around from Singapore to Thamuang to England to Hong Kong means that at the moment nothing seems to be in right place.
One of the distractions to the 'loneliness of the long distant project manager' is to have an interesting and challenging project to manage. I hope I can muster the spirit we had in Singapore, but I hate the word 'hope' in projects as it conjures up an image of failing expectations. I can't even assume we will get the spirit we had in Singapore, because in projects assumption is the mother of all cock ups! Time to get positive me thinks!
So it's time to snap out of this mood and get out there. This morning I will continue with my running, do a bit of grocery shopping, try and make sense of the washing machine, and this afternoon go into the city for a wander. Tonight there is wall to wall Premiership football and squeaky bum time as the Reds aim to go on top, where they belong. Wow I feel better all ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment