Pages

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Hong Kong - It's Flippin Freezin

Thankfully Khamma was discharged from hospital after five days and everything seems to be ok now. For the remainder of our holiday we visited friends and family and ended our holiday in the same pub as we started in; the Tunnel End in Marsden.
Our flights back to Bangkok soon passed and we spent our last night relaxing at the convenient Convenient Resort Hotel close to Bangkok airport. Sadly next morning Khamma and I went our different ways and she returned to Thamuang and I carried on to Hong Kong.
Having a good break made us relaxed, even though there were plenty of traumas to distract us. It was good to meet up with everybody and difficult to say 'tarrah'. There has been all sorts of emotions in the last few days, but the abiding memories are family and friends, and the pleasure of introducing Khamma to them. All too suddenly it ended and thinking about it now this is the first time I have been alone since last August and it takes some adjusting to. Ah well!
I am sorry Khamma's introduction to England was marred by the burglary and having to stay in hospital, but it hasn't put her off from wanting to come back in the summer.
So this is Hong Kong. My apartment is more modern than Singapore and doesn't have 'landlord's furniture' i.e. everybody else's cast offs. It is a two bedroom cosy pad with excellent views over the harbour at the Gold Coast Yacht Club. When I get a camera I can show the view, but take my word that the sunset is excellent!
The only problem is the cold, and it is flippin freezin! Apparently everybody endures this discomfort, or torture, because winter only lasts for a few weeks, but on Sunday afternoon it was actually warmer outside than in. I am sleeping under two duvets with two T shirts and a thermal running vest and tracksters. I even keep my socks on. There is no heating apart from the heat generated from my laptop, which is on my lap as I write. My legs are ok but my feet are blocks of ice. Even in the office it is cold and I sit with a fleece jacket on until the sun works its way round to my side of the building. There is no frost or snow just cold air streaming in from mainland China and lingering like an unwanted guest at a party.
On the other hand Khamma has spent the last two days cleaning the house, not that Yo and Pel wrecked it whilst she was away, just that she enjoys doing it. It is a little bit cold there and windy too. Although my guess is that it is a damned sight warmer than here.
Well that's the latest until I can go exploring at the weekend. It looks like there is a lot scope for walking on the mountains and a bit of island hoping, but not before I get a camera and warm coat, gloves, hat and warm boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment