Pages

Tuesday 31 March 2009

Why do bloggers blog?

It has been more than a couple since I put finger to keyboard and blogged about what is going on in Asia. Khamma has been staying with me in Hong Kong and has managed to distract me so that grabbing an hour or so to tell a few stories has been difficult. It is also very busy in Hong Kong International Airport with the project sometimes going ok and most times not going anywhere, but enough of that.
I have missed my blogging moments and that made me think why should I miss recording a few funny stories about cultural differences and allowing people into my little world. There is a constant amount of chatter between seasoned bloggers on this subject and I am sure you can follow the links to a couple of sites where the authors come clean about why they indulge in blogging.
For me it is a way of letting friends and family know what I am up to, although this is not a substitute for a personal email. I'm not sure how many people regularly drop by for a catch up but I am sometimes surprised when people make it known that they do. It is very pleasing that out of all the rich veins of information available some people can search out my tiny corner of cyberspace.
I also blog to keep a sort journal of my time here in Asia. I have been keeping journals of my travels since 1986 when I travelled to Canada to find space during a particularly troubled time of my life. My collection of travel journals now consists of Nepal, India, Italy, Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Germany, France, USA, Norway, China, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Czech Republic, Poland, Turkey and Orkney Island! I am impressed with that list but I get more pleasure from remembering the stories, often in vivid colour. The tradition lives on in the electronic age of the blog.
I'm not one for trying to justify doing this or that through the blog, I prefer to record what has happened and to let the future sort itself out. That way is exciting for me and I often get a kick out looking back over twelve months and thinking how on earth I have managed to end up where I am with everything that goes on in between.
I am more inclined to write about something that intrigues me or I find interesting and fascinating, usually something inconsequential and unusual. I like to share those moments especially if I can't share the real moment because most of the time I am alone.
So there's some catching up to do over the next few days, including a real Chinese meal at a restaurant in deepest darkest Hong Kong, a trip to see the 'Dollar' Buddha and a fascinating visit to the site of the Lost City of Kowloon which I promise will leave you asking for more. A few details to report from Thamuang, including a sad story about Cookie, my favourite dog, who we think has had a fight with a snake and has come off worst!
Read on dear reader, whoever and where ever you are! Thanks for dropping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment