Pages

Saturday 25 April 2009

A year on

Today is the first anniversary of my 'Life in Asia' blog. It is one year old and over a hundred entries long. I pat myself on the back for my tenacity and comittment. But life in Asia, has it been worth it? Simply speaking yes it has. I have had the opportunity to visit Thamuang frequently and Khamma has spent time with me in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong as well as going to England. We are very much together and in love.
That side of life is good, but there are downsides. I am missing my family and friends in England much more and becoming increasingly unhappy in Hong Kong. Right now my mood is not lifted as I look out over the Pearl River estuary towards the South China Sea and I can see the grey concrete apartments, the grey river, the grey harbour, the grey sea and layers of grey clouds all around. It is raining and this adds a thin grey mist across the bay. OK I know it rains in Hong Kong but give me a break!
The blog keeps me going and even though it is raining I find a little bit of sunshine from England, and a clear blue sky in Thamuang.
Thanks for reading whoever you are.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your predicament however what you probably forget is the absurdity of life in England and the state of the economy.

    The lack of freedom brough about either by Goverment bureaucracy or the yobs and criminal elements in society combined with the increase in taxes is leading to a society where anyone who earns more than a basic wage is seen as fair go, by the thieves both illegal and legal variety.

    If I was you I would take an extended break and return to the UK, the excitment and enjoyment of seeing loved ones will soon be replaced by the dread of high taxes, unregulated banks taking as much of your hard earned money as they can and an ever weakening pound limiting your ability to travel far and wide to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your advice sounds inviting.
    Meanwhile it is still raining, and to add insult to injury I was covered in cold tea slops yesterday when a stupid idiot waiter, cleaning some outside tables, didn't watch where he was aiming. I could have strangled him because of my mood. Instead I shouted a few words and moved on cursing my bad luck!

    ReplyDelete