Pages

Wednesday 20 May 2009

Thats it then!

My time is up! Life in Asia has come to an end, or rather, let's say one chapter is ending and another will open; in England.
The project I am (was!) working on in Hong Kong airport has been suspended. I could write a new blog on the politics and situations I have found myself in, but it isn't my style. We decided last week to call a halt to further work and take another review in the autumn. It is too early to say when and if it will re-start.
So in mid June my life returns to Diggle and I will be UK based for a few months. In truth I was becoming a little disillusioned with working in Hong Kong and I was becoming increasingly unhappy being so far away from family and friends in England and Thailand. I hope I have portrayed a positive image of Hong Kong because it is fun to wander around and become immersed in the culture. I will miss this and I bet I will be aching to get back after a few weeks in England. But it is the right thing to do, and to a large extent it has been decided for me.
It has been a privilege being able to work in new cultures and I would not have changed a thing. Khamma and I have grown closer together, and because I have lived apart from my family and friends in England for so long, I feel I have grown closer to them also. As my Dad says, 'I can hear the pumps squeaking', which is his reference to pulling a pint. I look forward to that too!
I not sure my boss reads this blog. I suspect he does but he never says. I never ask. But thank you Matthew for giving me this opportunity.
Khamma and I believe in fate and as we enter a new scenario that is far from ideal, we believe I will be happier in England and we can sort ourselves out in time to come. In fact Khamma is applying for another six month visa and I have already booked a ticket for her to come over to Diggle at the end of July. We will decide the next steps later.
In a couple of weeks I will close the blog, but there are some topics I want to blog on before then. I have been thinking about writing a book, but I keep losing the plot.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, big change there. As all things change, the adventure always starts to wear a little thin after awhile, and home starts to look a little greener in hindsight. I could tell you were starting to reach that point lately, so it's for the best that you get to head back home just when you were needing it the most.

    I'll be back in the UK after the summer, and if things work out I'll be living back in Knutsford before Christmas. So if you're still around I might have to take a weekend trip up to Diggle to squeak the pump with you for an afternoon.

    Have a safe move back home...

    Bodhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in the UK, but hurry back to Asia!

    I was just there this April/May in Devon and oh... those green rolling hills... they almost turned my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to that Bodhi. Hope you survive the Malls!
    Catherine - thanks for your comment. I'll be back for sure. The Peak District is my first call, but they will be rolling and green - if it stops raining!

    ReplyDelete