Pages

Thursday 23 June 2011

The Wedding Day - we did it our way!

We returned to Thamuang from Bangkok arriving home about 4am.  Tired but triumphant.  I have always said the system can never be beaten, but if you do what they say you can glide through the process without any problems.
The next decision was when to get married.  We decided on August because that was the next time I planned to visit Thailand, and maybe we need to plan for a party.  If I am totally honest I am not a party animal, especially if I am supposed to be in the limelight.  The Thai people do not need an excuse to party that's for sure, but it isn't really essential.  I was still trying to work out why it cost Khamma's cousin about 1 million bhat for the party he threw for his son.  That's about £2,000!! He allegedly invited 1,000 guests, so that had something to do with it, and it lasted 6 days, which is another reason, but to a lad from Saddleworth, it sounded like a lot of money when we needed a new fridge, car and air-con!
In the mean time, Khamma spent three months in England and I took redundancy from my job as an IT Project Manager with the World's leading Food Travel Experts.  These were very significant circumstances in a continuing changing 'Life in Asia' environment.
I arrived in Thamuang in August and during one of our casual conversations, I asked Khamma when she thought we should get married and what planning and arrangements were needed.  I must admit I vaguely based my experience on English traditions involving wedding planners and rumours of family arguments over details from the font size on the meal placement cards to the style of dress for the bride.  Khamma's response was refreshing to my ears.  We can just turn up at the local equivalent to the town hall and register.  That's it! OK When can we do this? Up to you darling, we can go anytime, I think tomorrow!
My response was to check about the party, the transport arrangements, the clothes to wear and not forgetting the font size on the place settings.  Khamma thought this was unnecessary and phoned her cousin to see if he could be a witness together with the village leader, or the leader of the council, as it were.  Ten minutes later, it is sorted and we are getting married in the morning.  No time to tell friends in England, no time to go to Burton's for new suit, no time for Khamma to even get her hair done!
Next - Our Wedding Our Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment