Pages

Monday 22 August 2011

The Ascent of Mont Pelvoux 3,946 metres 28th 29th August 1990 My Summary

When I read Phil’s story I remembered that after we returned to England, I made a tape recording of the climb.  I either was too lazy or had no time to write down the details.  Amazingly, I found it in an old tape deck and it is in good condition.

My story with my voice is not as entertaining as Phil’s written word, but I suppose somebody in the family will play it one day and be reminded of me.

There are no discrepancies between the versions, even the times are the same; set off at 5.20am, summit reached at 10.50am, return to hut 14.50hours.

I made more of the dangers we encountered.  For example as we climbed up the Coolidge Couloir the mist and clag crept up the mountain, threatening to envelope us so that we could not see where to go.  In addition, I recorded that crossing the bergschrund was very difficult.  Short climbing on loose rock with crampons scraping for purchase and an ice axe thumping into fresh snow trying to find something to pull up on.

I noted Phil was in good form leading up the couloir.  He climbed for two hours without a stop!

On the descent I recalled that we had three choices to cross over the bergschrund.  Firstly to back climb, but that was too dangerous; secondly to literally run and jump, but there was a high chance of falling and breaking a leg, or falling into an unseen crevasse; thirdly to abseil off the frozen rock.  I noted and respected Phil’s good judgement in choosing the rock from which to abseil.

In my conclusion, I said that I would never forget this day out in the mountains.  I also commented that I was pleased, privileged and happy to be with two good climbers on day that we will never forget.  This is spirit of mountaineering with the Powsers.

Sadly, Phil died about eight years ago following a stroke.  Everyone that knew him misses him.  His sense humour often got him to trouble, but he was able to laugh at himself.  I still vividly remember him singing Danny Boy in Irish accent in a very Welsh Anglesey pub at a Saturday night singsong.  Not exactly the best choice of song, especially as he forgot the words and we were invited to leave!

As I read his story of the Ascent of Mount Pelvoux I heard Phil telling the story.  The words in capitals are exactly the words Phil would emphasise as he narrated the tale. 

It is 21 years this week since our epic adventure.  Doesn’t time fly?

Phil on the summit of Mont Pelvoux with his favourite SNICKERS

Phil and Pete back at the hut after our epic

No comments:

Post a Comment