Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

Driving in Thailand

I have driven in many out of the way places - across the USA on Route 66, East Canada, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and even Zimbabwe.  But it was with some trepidation that I decided to hire a car for my latest trip to Thailand.  I can recommend Sixt at Bangkok airport - excellent price, no fuss service and a reasonable car.
I was pleased that the sat nav in my new Nokia 825 works just as well as it does in England, and the lady inside the device speaks English as opposed to Thai!!!
Everything was set up and all I wanted to do was to avoid the centre of Bangkok as we drove south to Phuket.  Alas, about 5km out of the airport, the sat nav took me off the motorway and into the maelstrom that is Bangkok on a Thursday afternoon.  There was no way I could find my way back onto the motorway and my only choice was to follow the instructions uttered from the lady in the computer.
There doesn't appear to be many rules of the road.  OK they drive on the left, which is a great bonus for a Brit abroad.  But there the similarities end; motorcycles weaving in and out from nearside and offside, front and back.  The odd car driving towards you on the wrong side of the road.  The sudden stops, lack of direction indication and tailgating.  It's a recipe for an accident and I was well outside my comfort zone.  Even the sat nav sometimes said go left when it meant straight ahead, because there was no left down which to turn.
On one occasion I had to turn left because I could not switch back into the straight ahead lane.  The sat nave recovery was good, but we ended up in a dodgy back street before returning to the main road.  The next time this happened I was not going to be foiled.  After an hour or so, I started to fight back.  It seems like aggression is a great leveller whist driving anywhere in Thailand.  I worked out that nobody wants to damage their bike or car, so accidents will only happen if there is a sudden change of driving habit.  Being timid does not work!
The road often diverged into three of four lanes and I tended to keep left where I felt I stood a better chance.  Suddenly the left lane was turning left and the 'turn left' arrow was followed by those cones stuck into the cats eyes and they were approaching very quickly.  With the reactions of Lewis Hamilton I glanced in the offside mirror and there was a gap just enough for me to switch lanes.  We carried on about 100 metres when a policeman on an ageing motorbike appeared at my side and waved me in.
He looked surprised when he saw a farang, but that did not stop him fining me 500 bhat (10GBP) for the offence.  Luckily Khamma spoke up and asked him why he was charging 500 bhat instead of the 'standard' 400 bhat.  He asked her how she knew such 'fine' (pun intended) detail and she replied that her cousin was also a cop.  That said he took my licence and 400 bhat, but I did not receive a ticket.  I can only assume he pocketed the money, or am I being cynical?
Two hours later we emerged on the other side of the city.  It took about an hour longer than it should, but it was an experience - not to be repeated.
Whilst driving along Khamma reminded me that if there was an accident and even if it was not my fault, I would be expected to pay damages for the bike or car and any hospital treatment for the victim.  How does that work?  Somebody throws themselves at the car and I have to pay (?) This is Thailand.  I keep reminding myself to drive safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment