Pages

Sunday 1 February 2015

What's Changed?

I was apprehensive about the journey back to Thailand and Thamuang village.  Just over a year ago, when I was taken ill and hospitalised, I had already checked in with KLM 'on-line' for my post Christmas flight to Thailand.  What followed then was a series of events amounting to a long story over a short period of time.  For the three weeks I was supposed to be in Thailand with Khamma, I spent my time in three different Manchester hospitals.  Instead of me going to Thailand, Khamma came to England for five months to nurse me back to health.  I will always be indebted to her loving care and attention.  Despite the circumstances, or because of them, we grew closer than ever. 
I worked hard, encouraged by Khamma, and regained weight, some kind of fitness and desire to do all the rights - just as before.  No change there then!
Last week was like a re-enactment of the events from twelve months ago.  Flash backs to events involving ambulances, hospital wards and worst of all; operations.  I was repeating pre-flight preparations; packing, check in, going through the 'to do' list.  A repeat of the same actions hoping for a different result. 
I didn't sleep at all on the ten hour flight from Amsterdam and arrived in Ubon Ratchathani exhausted exactly seventeen hours from leaving Manchester.  No dramas, no suspicious pains or missed heart beats.  What exactly should I be worried about?
The first changes?  Khamma was there to greet me with a smile as wide as the Asian continent.  It's great to be with her again.  For the first time she arrives at the airport in her new car.  She learnt to drive last year and passed he test first time.  We then bought a car, which will make a huge difference to our time together.
The second change?
During October last year, the passenger hall at Ubon airport was gutted by fire.  Passengers are diverted into a temporary facility.  In Thai terms, this counts as a recent fire, and a new passenger hall will eventually be built.
Other changes? Apart from the new car (a Honda City), Khamma project managed a car port, a re-furbished Thai kitchen and the installation of air-con in the bed room.
All these changes upgraded Owerhouse from five star to fire star deluxe!
I had arrived, needed a rest but ready for a break - at last.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment