Pages

Sunday 31 August 2008

A Night at the Opera

Khamma arrived in Singapore late on Wednesday night and soon settled into the routine between my work and domesticity. I do worry that she will get bored staying at home whilst I have to go to work, but she says she is ok and is going out to places she is familiar with. Speaking English and reading it are two different things and I can understand her apprehension in venturing out a little further but I still hope she finds enough to do.
Last Friday was the opera night. We set off with great anticipation and I hoped she wouldn't find it too extreme on the 'farang' scale. In actual fact I am not a huge opera buff and my interest is because I have enjoyed some great performances before and we can go to see this in Singapore because, well, we can! I have a wide range of musical interest and always fascinated by the talent some people have whether it is on the high stage in Singapore or down at the local blues club. Of course I also wanted to see Khamma's reaction to the spectacular stage set and the large orchestra.
After an average meal in Harry's Bar we joined the audience in the splendid Esplanade theatre and took our comfortable seats in the circle. The orchestra was some eighty members strong and the cast I think over one hundred. We both very much enjoyed the performance and it was obvious it was well polished and top class, especially the leading roles who revelled in the appreciation and delight of the audience. Khamma's reaction was excited and she now refers to it not as the opera, but as the 'sing a song'. I like that. She has also occasionally been heard practicing her scales in not quite in the sweet soprano range but in that unmistakable Isaan accent of north east Thailand.
We arrived home happy and content that some more differences in our cultures are now better understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment