Pages

Saturday 20 September 2008

Blog rules ok?

Khamma has been staying with me in Singapore over the last three weeks and at first I was fretting that I couldn't keep the blog up to date. Then I realised that I should rule the blog not let the blog rule me! I guess it was becoming addictive but I am pleased to say that I realised what was happening and that spending precious time with Khamma is infinitely better than writing the blog. Sadly though Khamma has now gone back to Thamuang and my life in Asia is re-adjusting back to the reality that was created before, but not exactly. I have been joined in Singapore by Mike who is a colleague from the UK. Over the years I have worked with Mike in the US and in the UK and he has taken over the spare room. He is welcome company even though he supports Liverpool!
We also had other guests last weekend when Dave and Ann visited us for a few days. Dave is a good friend from England and together we have had many adventures from freezing bivouacs on the side of Swiss mountains to epic river journeys in Laos and from DIY safari adventures on the Skeleton Coast of Namibia to running the New York marathon. He met Ann at the same time I met Khamma and, like me, his life has taken a new direction.
Whilst Khamma was in Singapore we visited the opera, the zoo, China Town, Little India, Arab Street, Tampines, the rain forest and a host of hawker centres where cheap and good food is plenty. We also had a weekend in Kuala Lumpur in the luxury of the Marriott Renaissance next to the Petronas Towers.
I have never known three weeks to pass so quickly and it was a difficult day last Tuesday as she returned to Thailand.
Back in the village there had been a shortage of decent rainfall for the rice and there was more than a hint of concern that the harvest would be poor. However the rain did eventually come and in Singapore you could hear the slurping and gulping of water from the thirsty rice plants in Thamuang. The relief on Khamma's face was noticeable and I was treated to an even wider smile and a hug when she learned the news from her brother. Since she has returned home she has spent her days in the fields making everything 'beautiful' and ready for harvest in early November. She loves the rice fields and is completely absorbed with the cycle of planting, growing and harvesting. The Thamuang farmers constantly compare their fields with one another in friendly rivally reminiscent of the proud villagers at the annual Diggle garden fete showing off their fine vegetables after a year's hard graft in the allotments. Her description paints a picture in my mind and I can visualise the view of the rice from the windows of Owerrrouse. When I spoke to her last night I could tell she was tired and although we both wanted to chat we had to finish to let her sleep. I guess today will be the same.
She took back from Singapore a special arrangement to show off the Buddha display in the house. We bought a gold lacquered plate which will be the background to display the Buddha with a couple of gold vases for offerings. We think it will be perfect and it is important to display our thanks and respect before we go about buying materialistic clutter like a TV and a DVD and whatever.
This is something new for me but I am relating to the traditions and customs very easily and we both have a belief that due to co-incidences neither of us can understand or explian we were brought together by following the Buddhist truths and paths. Our very different backgrounds have joined together and we both enjoy the discovery of our cultures and lifestyles. I have been truely amazed by Khamma's knowledge of nature and her keen eye in the forests for edible mushrooms and plants. Equally she is amazed by the confidence of the foreigner in the urban jungles of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. There is no doubt she is happy in her fields and I wish to spend more time there as well.
Life in Asia goes on.

2 comments:

  1. I've just stumbled on your blog and have enjoyed it very much. Though I don't come from Diggle, we have a number of things in common.

    I too have built a house in Thailand but I actually live in it with my Cat.

    You can even read about my five good years here in MY THAI GIRL AND I. You can't buy it in Singapore but will have to wait for the next time you pass through Suvarnabhumi. Though you can find my novel, THAI GIRL published by Monsoon Books in Singapore.

    Do you know Rochester Park near Holland village. I lived there for five yars. We has a durian tree in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment Mr Thai Girl! I have seen your blog and indeed your books in various stores in Singapore. I haven't got round to reading the book, but I enjoy your blog.
    I know Holland Village and to be honest I feel much more at home in Bugis, Little India and China Town. But I will make a note to go back and find the tree - should be able to smell it from the MTR
    :-()

    ReplyDelete